Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Orr's

Orr
My latest commission for the Orr's.  This was my first time working with Razzle Dazzle Rose.  It's a very fluorescent color, almost impossible to photograph well.  I had to do some major color manipulation in Photoshop to tone it down.  The wax was also very soft and got gummy/sticky when heated by my hands.  It's been VERY HOT in Seattle.  Every couple of minutes I had to quench my hands in ice cold water to keep the temp down when I'm carving.  I usually work late nights when it's this hot.

_MG_8635
This is my new crayon base.  I like the proportions much better than my old bases.  Before shipping my crayons to their new homes I will usually do a fitting first.  You can see wax residue in the holes.

_MG_8644
The bottom is lined with felt, an extra little touch. :)

_MG_8640
This is how the crayons are packed for shipping.  They are fitted into "foam coffins" and bubble wrapped then bubble-wrapped coffin is suspended in packing peanuts.  This method has been greatly successful, I've shipped worldwide and none have broken!  *knock on virtual wood*

7 comments:

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

It is very hot in PDX also! Razzle Dazzle Rose was used in a book called "Million Little Pieces"

:) The little coffins are adorable.

doro said...

Awesome!

Diem Chau said...

Thanks Erika & Doro :)

Qiko said...

Hi Diem!
I love your crayon pieces! I first came across them during the world cup. You do an amazing work!
I am publishing a post in my blog about pencil sculptures and I wonder if I may refer to you and use some of your pictures.
You can find my blog here: http://bananapancakes.yauca.se
my e-mail: yauca (at) yauca.se
best regards
Yauca Lopez

Diem Chau said...

Thanks Yauca!
Sorry it took so long for me to respond... I took a hiatus from the blog to catch up on work :)
Thanks for posting as well.
Diem

Sandy said...

can I ask how much you charge for each piece and is it the same price for a family of six?

Diem Chau said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Sandy :) I emailed you.