Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chè đậu trắng


Chè đậu trắng (White Bean Dessert)
One of my favorite desserts... well actually ALL desserts are my favorite desserts! This is a very simple dish that can be made in a single pot. I'm kind of lazy at writing down recipes and I'm horrible at following them as well. I tend to "eye" things and use finger measurements. I think it's my mom's doing. I remember when she taught me how to cook rice she said "put rice in the pot til it reaches your first knuckle and pour water in until it reaches your second." I recently lost the plastic cup that goes with my rice cooker and I've been following my mom's instructions... seems to be working fine.


There are different preferences to this dessert... wet or dry. It should be the consistency of a porridge or stiff oatmeal. I like it stiff so if you like it runny add more water to my recipe. The ONLY ingredients are: sticky (sweet) rice, black-eyed peas, sugar and coconut milk (thick white kind).

Che Dau Trang
1/2 cup of Black eyed peas (soak overnight)
1 cup of Sticky (Sweet) rice
1 can of Coconut milk
1/2 cup of sugar
4 cups of water (feel free to add more)


Wash rice, mix beans, rice, sugar and water together and cook on stovetop. Bring to boil then turn down to medium heat. Just watch the pot and make sure it doesn't burn, add water if necessary. It's done when it's consistency of porridge or oatmeal... you can also take a nibble to see if the rice and beans are soft. You can also add sugar if it's not sweet enough or add water if it's too stiff.

Serve warm or chilled in a bowl, topped with coconut milk. Nom Nom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy thank you for the easy and quick recipe!

Amy said...

looks really yum yum yummy! and not to mention very east. How many servings does this come out to?

Diem Chau said...

Thanks Karan!

It makes 5 to 6 servings... depending on how much you like to eat :P I'm revising the recipe to 4 cups of water, it came out way too stiff even for my taste.