Saturday, January 31, 2009

What I'm Working On

What I'm working on
I've been carving crayons like MAD! I have a show in March in LA... more info to come... and one really BIG commission.

This is my workspace, also my kitchen table. It's a bit frustrating working from home. There are so many distractions, but it's also cheaper than a studio and very convenient! I can work at 2am... 4pm... anytime I want to and with no commute. I've considered renting a studio space for years, but in Seattle it's impossible to find an affordable space. Sometimes I think I'm holding myself back by not having a proper studio. But I'm doing alright... there's always an element of second guessing with being an artist. That's why I like to do things last minute, that way I don't get to think about it too much. I tend to over analyze and kill ideas before they have a chance to manifest. I've also learned from a few good friends to just "work" and let it come out. (Thanks Robert!)

My corner
Another shot of the workspace. I also have a "dirty" space, i.e. the garage, for sanding, cutting and anything that requires good air circulation.

4 comments:

Catmid said...

I completely agree with the studio space issue. I've been wanting one too. I have no place to do my "dirty" work which is holding me back from doing any sort of mold making or large format prototyping. XD I miss having a room to just F* up. hehe.

I'll be snooping here more often.
Good Luck with the March show!

Diem Chau said...

Thanks Cat :)
The dirty room is SO important!!! There are things we do that can never be cleaned up! haha!!!

Anonymous said...

Great blog Diem!

I completely understand the studio space issue. I work out of my basement, but it's been colder so I've moved everything into the living room. The work gets smaller as a result, ha! One day I hope to weld again. . .

Diem Chau said...

Thanks Sharon!